Profit from the parallels existing between EMAS
Profit from the parallels existing between EMAS (Eco-Management and Audit Scheme) and OHSAS (Occupational Health and Safety Management) and apply for a joint EHS (Environment – Health – Safety) Policy with your industrial site.
10 steps to introduce a certified Environment, Health and Safety Management System in your industrial park:
1. Preparation of the Environmental Management System:
Implementation of an EMAS team within the organization to support the Environmental management responsible. Planning of the project process. There are three key parts in EMAS:
- Employee participation
- Internal and external transparency
2. Conduction of Environmental Review:
Analysis of all direct and indirect environmental impacts. Within the direct impacts following key areas must be examined:
- Energy Efficiency
- Material Efficiency
These areas must be analysed with key indicators. Next part is the qualitative and quantitative evaluation of all environmental impacts. Additionally, it is necessary to conduct a legal review if the institution/company complies with all relevant environmental regulations in that region/country.
3. Formulation of Environmental Policy:
The environmental policy is the central guideline for the environmental behaviour of the insitution/company. The policy should be integrated in the overall corporate principles.
4. Development of the Environmental Program with concrete Objectives and Actions:
The environmental programm describes the objectives and actions which should improve the impact of the environmental aspects. The results of the environmental review, the objectives and actions are the basis of the continous improvement process.
5. Implementation of the Environmental Management System:
Start of internal optimizations and structures. There are several aspects which defines the operational work of an environmental management system:
- Ressources, Tasks, responsibilities, authorization
- Control of documents and records
- Operational control
- Emergency service and hazard prevention
- Monitoring and measurement
- Assessment of legal compliance
- Non-compliance, corrective and preventive actions
6. Conduction of Internal Environmental Audit:
Periodically and systematic internal audits ensure continous improvment. Conducted by employees or externals with audit experience. The scope of the audit is planned within the internal audit programm.
7. Formulation of the Management Review:
Top management must evaluate the environmental management system periodically. All documents and results including:
- Result of the environmental review
- Assessment of legal compliance
- Handling of external complaints
- Environmental performance
- Status of objectives
- Status of corrective and preventive actions
- Status of actions from former management reviews
- Change of business framework including legal requirements
- Improvement proposals
8. Preparation of the Environmental Statement:
Speciality about EMAS is the public transparency. For that the institution/company publishs the environmental statement. This document will be proved by the auditor. That ensures a standard of quality. The environmental statement must be updated yearly.
9. Launching of External Audit:
The external audit is conducted by an accredited, state-approved environmental auditor. The auditor will check if all data of the institution/company is reliable and trustworthy. Part of the audit is a inspectation with interviews with employees and a document screening.
10. Validation of the Environmental Statement and Registration:
Finally, after the confirmation of the auditor the institution will be registered in the national and European EMAS-register and is allowed to use the EMAS logo.
Additional costs will have to be calculated for the following services:
1. External Audit:
- labor costs for legal auditor
- travel expenses of legal auditor
2. Audit Support:
- translator(s), if needed
3. Registration Fee:
- first registration fee
- eventually extra fees for changes of address etc.
4. Additional Fees
Contact us! The team of InSITE BAVARIA will be happy to provide you with more information or to submit you a non-binding offer!